5 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT NFP
1. The rhythm method was developed way back in 1920 and is NOT an effective birth control method. Nobody uses it anymore.
2. Withdrawal or coitus interruptus is NOT an NFP method, and leads to frustration on the part of the couple, as well as being a highly ineffective as birth control.
3. Modern natural family planning methods are the second biggest secret of the Church, because nobody knows about it. (The first biggest secret would be the Catholic social teachings.)
4. There are at least 6 modern NFP’s today: Body Basal Temperature (BBT works on checking for a slight temperature spike when one is ovulating); Billings Ovulation Method (BOM works on the quality of cervical mucus); Sympto-Thermal Method (STM works on a combination of BBT and BOM); Standard Days Method (SDM works on beads following the cycle); Two-Day Method (TDM works on 2 days no secretion, then not fertile); and Lactational Amenorrhea Method (LAM works on breastfeeding as a form of NFP). BOM, SDM and TDM are real world typical use effective 85% of the time, just like the condom.
5. The Standard Days Method is a controversial method because (1) It has USAID funding (which is pro-contraception), (2) it’s not really about the couple being aware of the fertility cycle of the woman but works on a standard computer-generated calendar of days; and (3) it recommends the use of “protected sex” (a condom) on fertile days 8-19 of the cycle.